10.06.2009

TyeDye Tom

I met a very interesting individual on campus, which doesn't happen very often. I mean don't get me wrong, I love meeting new people and I find each one of them unique but do I rarely find someone who really captivates me. "Tyedye" Tom of New Orleans was on our campus outside the Bovee U.C. with a tent set up of items he was selling from his store 'Wish You Were Here' in Murphy, Tennessee. Tom was raising money to help support Alternative Breaks, a service project concentrated on social injustices. This idea originated when Tom's home was effected by Hurricane Katrina and students from Oaklahoma University helped fix the damages that were caused by the incident. While Tom travels to different college campuses like Michigan State, Grand Valley and many outside of Michigan he mentioned that, "Central Michigan has really embraced the service end, they have really served students education in leadership." But that's not what stood out to me about Tom. The first thing that caught my eye were all of his tapestries hanging, along with beaded hemp necklaces and classic rock t-shirts. The second was his dog Ben, a black lab who wore an american flag bandana around his neck. The third, was when I really got to talking to Tom. He shared with me his feelings about how the world is running for instance, "Greed has replaced the word prosperity." Aside from getting to know him I got to personally know his compassion for what he does. He told me that, "Michigan is losing people faster than its resources, we need to keep them here...that's why I'm here."

  Tyedye Tom of New Orleans fundraises for Alternative Breaks, a service project concentrated on social injustices, where half of the proceeds go towards the program. "I do it for the need. Service is what makes this country strong, we have got to remember that," says Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment