10.03.2009

Before Cutlines, Captions and Steno Pads

For those of you who know me are aware of my transition from fine art photography to photojournalism.  For those of you who don't, let me take the time to tell you a little bit about my adventure.  Throughout my high school career I centered myself around abstract, metaphoric, creative, and even confusing images that sometimes even I got tangled in.  My senior year of high school consisted of nothing but art classes like Advanced Black and White Photography, Digital Imaging, Graphic Design and Creative Writing (always a favorite of mine).  Although I used metaphors to my advantage to create stimulating images, I also valued the idea of capturing the beauty of what was taking place in front of me.  My photography teacher whose class I took for three years became pregnant with twins mid- senior year and ended up leaving after the first semester.



If I had to guess when this was taken, I would say around November of 2006.

During my second semester of senior year I entered the Midwest Scholastics Art and Writing Competition.  I submitted my portfolio of eight images along with individual images and ended up winning a Gold Key on behalf of my portfolio and honorable mentions for my individuals.  I was rather overhelmed and not to mention completely suprised but overall delighted at my progression throughout high school.  It was like a sign, telling me I was ready to move on to art school - I had the talent.



I spent the summer preparing myself for what would be one of the greatest experiences of my life, attending the School of Visual Arts in NYC.  I studied under Bob Brooks, a vary talented photographer and painter.  He taught me everything I needed to know about exposures, apertures and every other setting while I managed my Canon EOS Rebel 35mm.  I loved printing in the darkroom, it's almost like I could get lost in images for hours without a care in the world.  It was unreal.

This photograph was taken with B&W film at the corner of Broadway and Bleecker St. in New York City.  Local middle schools decorated tiles in honor of September 11th and hung them along the fences of the street corner.  When I think about it now it would have been amazing if I had a really stellar wide angle to capture the spirit of these children and how many tiles were made in remembrance of those who died on that day.  Oh, if only I knew what I know now  After I left SVA to attend Central Michigan University in Mount Pleasant, MI I have to admitt it was a bit of a culture shock but I adjusted pretty well.  I am currently enrolled in the Photojournalism program working towards my B.A. in Photojournalism with a minor in Media Design, Production and Technology.  I am a staff photographer for Central Michigan Life and an active member of the Central Press Photographers Association.  Yes, it consumes my life but I wouldn't have it any other way.
So, with that being said, to quote the late Richard Avedon,
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up."


No comments:

Post a Comment