10.23.2009

Circle K

I was walking down the sidewalk towards the University Center one day earlier in the semester when a few girls had a booth set up outside handing out flyers.  I am always curious as to what's happening on campus so I approached the booth when a voice called out, "Do you like to volunteer?" and I answered, "Well certainly."  I was handed a flyer that introduced an organization on campus by the name of Circle K.  Circle K is the college level of the Kiwanis Family and works to promote service, leadership and fellowship.  The group participates in service projects in the Mount Pleasant community, and also  participates in projects put on by the other Circle K clubs in Michigan.  I attended the first meeting to check it out and ended up enjoying pretty much everything I saw.  I ended up joining Circle K after that first meeting this semester and have now attended many service projects like walking dogs at the animal shelter, helping out at mobile food trucks and volunteering at the soup kitchen.


Lapeer freshman Courtney Tornga, left, and Bloomfield Hills junior Katie Carbin, right, peel and  dice potatoes for the beef stew being prepared for lunch Sunday afternoon at the Isabella Community Soup Kitchen in Mount Pleasant, Mich.

No comments:

Post a Comment