10.23.2009

Class In Session

I made the front page today.  High five!


Southfield senior Portia McIntosh, Human Growth and Development student teacher, works with a Walnut classroom student at the Discovery Center on Tuesday morning in the Child Development and Learning Lab.



Walnut classroom students play with test tubes at the Discovery Center on Tuesday morning


I shot this assignment not too long ago for CM Life at the new Education and Human Services Building on behalf of the new Preschool, which use to be located in Wightman Hall, and how both staff and children are grasping the transition.  Initially I went there during noon, which is when Pod A: Classrooms Walnut and Oak are let out for recess.  I photographed student teachers and children playing in sand, painting pictures, riding bikes etc.  When I brought them back my editor and I weren't pleased with them, we liked a few but I needed to capture the childrens expressions because children seriously, have the best facial expressions.  Since the journalist who was writing the piece told me that I had at least a week until the article would be published, I was eager to go back and re-shoot.  This time around, I shot indoors during free-time when the children got to interact with their peers at different activites centers around the classroom.  My personal favorite was the Pretend Station where two young boys who were running a resturant fed me tacos for breakfast.  I took over 250 photographs in the hour I was there.  I came back to the newsroom with the photos I just shot and my editor agreed, "Much better." 

Others from the shoot:





No comments:

Post a Comment