10.06.2009

Jordan River Nature Trail

For Labor Day weekend I went hiking with my friend Ethan's cousin and a few of his friends on a path just outside of Bellaire, Michigan.  I'll be honest, I love nature and really enjoy camping but I have not hiked in ages.  I especially can't recall a time where I wore a backpack to provide me with all of my necessities for an entire weekend.  Regardless, I was anticipating the hike with an open mind and couldn't wait to take it all in.  We hiked a total of 18 miles.  Ten on the way to our campsite and then nine on the way back from our campsite to where the car was parked.  The hiking was exhilirating while the camping was...hilarious.  Hydrated Beef Stroganoff and Mexican Rice for dinner/breakfast.  I had my usual granola and passion tea.  We played an array of games to keep us occupied when night fell and we did quite a good job at that suprisingly.  Of course being me, one of things I carried on my back was my camera, its accessories and my tripod.  I documented pretty much the whole trip which I will share with you all.


Less then a mile into the hike, I hated being in back but I'm not a leader so I couldn't be up font.



Ahh, nature.  We stopped to take a break, thank god, where I took some pictures of the scenery surrounding the trail.




From left to right:  Ryan MacWilliams, Laura Maihofer, Ethan MacWilliams and Rob (forgot last name)



Ryan being one with the water, or as he would say, "Water and meditation are wedded for life."



Mmm, Rob drinking spring water.  There's nothing like it.



Laura caught a baby toad.  They were everywhere!  It was hard trying not to step on them.  Poor buggers.



When in Rome!  I guess Rome referring to reflections, which I love.  Especially in my tea.



Rob and I went searching through the woods while the others napped to find dead wood for the fire.  I picked it up and he broke it in half.  It was pretty good team work.



Me, Ryan and Rob went on rounds to fill up water bottles for everyone.  We had to pump the water but man, was it cold and mighty refreshing.



Ethan sitting down with no intentions of getting back up after our ten mile hike to our campsite.  We all got in and went swimming eventually, despite the bone chilling temperature of the water.



Ryan waking up from a nap before dinner.  His hammock holds two, if you can believe it or not.



The swimming portion of our day.  I had to put my camera away after this because the current was too strong I had to hold onto the bridge with both hands.  Plus, it's water.  I don't want to take any chances.



Ethan brought with him a can of Mandarin Oranges which he then tried eating with his pocket knife, random but delicious.



Men attempting to make fire.  We got it going eventually, it was roaring all night.



Ryan and Laura playing the harmonica around the campfire.  Classic.



Mushroom spotting!  Score.  I wish I could identify it, maybe one of these days.



Goodbye camp, hello eight mile hike ahead!



More amphibians on the trail.  Salamanders are the best though, for real.



Half way there, anticipating the end?  No way, we love it out here.  Don't be fooled we just stopped to take a breather and check out view, we were quite a ways up.

 
Fork in the road, and both trees are marked blue for our trail.  Hmm...Ryan and Rob decided we just keep going the way we were headed.  Good idea.



Each one of us hiked the 18 mile Jordan River Trail!  Give yourself a pat on the back.  Now it's time to kick back and have some fun.



Home brew, give it to me.  On our drive back we stopped at brewing company in Bellaire called Short's that Ryan has been to time and time again, which had the best brew.



Oh, and phenominal pizza to go with the brew.  YUM.



After consuming four slices of pizza and three cups of beer Ryan admits, "I'm ready for a nap."

No comments:

Post a Comment