12.25.2009

The Greatest Gift of All

A monumental day of giving.  These are the kinds of days where I value my job, the people I work with and the beautiful children and families I meet.  I remember the first time I ever photographed a young girl with cancer she looked at me and said, "My name is Ashleigh and I have cancer."  I set down my camera and tried to hold back what felt like tears about to unravel.  I looked at Ashleigh and said to her, "That makes you one of the strongest people I know Ashleigh."  We starred at each other for a moment longer before I took another picture of her beautiful blue eyes and warm smile.  She then leaned over and whispered in my ear, "I beat it."

On Sunday, December 13th 2009 The Bottomless Toy Chest and Live To Give Foundation reached out their hands to help seven local families with a child fighting cancer this holiday season by suprising them with the greatest gift of all...giving them a holiday to remember.
Not only did I have the pleasure of attending this wonderful day but I got to capture moments between the donors and the families, children and friends.  I was able to portray their beautiful souls through my lens for the world to see the essence of these families and love they have for each other and for us, the donors who made this day, the best day.



2 year-old Vanessa Goley rests her head against her mothers while waiting in line for brunch during The Bottomless Toy Chest and Live to Give Foundation 2009 Holiday Party, Sunday, December 13, 2009 at the Detroit Golf Club in Highland Park, Mich., 17911 Hamilton Rd.



The Yahia Family and members of The Bottomless Toy Chest gather around Santa Claus after opening gifts during The Bottomless Toy Chest and Live to Give Foundation 2009 Holiday Party, Sunday, December 13, 2009 at the Detroit Golf Club in Highland Park, Mich., 17911 Hamilton Rd.



The Bottomless Toy Chest Administrative Assistant Whitney Coulson helps 3 year-old Breanna Massey, a cancer patient, open one of her gifts at brunch during The Bottomless Toy Chest and Live to Give Foundation 2009 Holiday Party, Sunday, December 13, 2009 at the Detroit Golf Club in Highland Park, Mich., 17911 Hamilton Rd.



6 year-old Isaiah Burris picks out toys from 'The Bottomless Toy Chest' for himself and 9 year-old brother Darren Burris, a cancer patient, during The Bottomless Toy Chest and Live to Give Foundation 2009 Holiday Party, Sunday, December 13, 2009 at the Detroit Golf Club in Highland Park, Mich., 17911 Hamilton Rd.



11 year-old Zakaria Yahia, a cancer patient, takes a moment to read the card given to him by his stocking donors during The Bottomless Toy Chest and Live to Give Foundation 2009 Holiday Party, Sunday, December 13, 2009 at the Detroit Golf Club in Highland Park, Mich., 17911 Hamilton Rd.




4 year-old Perla Perez, a cancer patient, enjoys one of her gifts from The Bottomless Toy Chest during The Bottomless Toy Chest and Live to Give Foundation 2009 Holiday Party, Sunday, December 13, 2009 at the Detroit Golf Club in Highland Park, Mich., 17911 Hamilton Rd.








Smiles Heal.
Excellent work to both teams who contributed to making this day so special. 
Give yourselves a pat on the back! 
                                                

2 comments:

  1. these pictures and your blog are so wonderful :)
    -Rosalyn

    ReplyDelete