12.15.2009

Like A Virgin

I was assigned to shoot the basketball game last weekend.  I haven't shot sports, ever.  The reason may be because I was never presented with the proper equipment to capture the action or because I just never really thought about.  As my editors keep telling me, "It's a whole other animal."  I took my NikonD40 to Rose Arena where the lighting just happens to be awful with another staff photographers 1.8 lens so I could attempt to not look like a total amateur shooting the basketball game.  Well here's the kicker, the lens would not auto focus when I switched it onto my camera so I spent each minute manual focusing players, a basketball, the hoop and the sidelines.  Under the circumstances I think it wasn't too shabby.  Yeah, a lot of my photographs came out blurry but my eye was anticipating the moment.  I enjoyed the photographs I took apart from the basketball game, the ones I could take the time to focus my lens on and also get close to them, get a nice frame and composition on my subject.  I ended up using the images I took on Saturday for my fourth assignment in my JRN220 class.  This one was used for my sports feature.  I would have liked to get more players in the circle and back up a bit but between the players height and the intensity of the timeouts I practically had to squeeze between peoples legs to get my shot.  Better luck next time!

zegler.sportsfeature_4028
Central Michigan University Basketball Head Coach Ernie Zeigler goes over team plays during a time out in the second period against Indiana University-South Bend Saturday, November 7, 2009 in Rose Area, Mount Pleasant, Mich.

No comments:

Post a Comment