4.28.2010

Vang Vieng, Laos

I would like to start off this entry by saying that Vang Vieng is one of the happiest places on earth.  And when I say happy, I mean...HAPPY.  Catch my drift?  Let me elaborate.  For the record, I am currently living in Thailand where the drinking age is legal so I can partake in alcohol consumption.  In Vang Vieng, consumption of psychadelics also known as happy mushrooms are legal, therefor everyone is allowed to partake in this wonderful experience.  Catch my drift?  Groovy.
I would be lying to you if I said my friends and I weren't eager to get started on what was known as the crazy adventure we had all heard about through our friends back in Bangkok.  We all showered, ate delicious baguettes, and headed out to the river where we were greeted with open arms and full bottles of Tiger whiskey.  The bar at the mouth of the river had a deal offering; buy two buckets, get one free bucket for the rest of the day.  Well, seeing as we were going to be spending our entire day there, my friend Nina and I decided it would be a rather good investment.  One mojito bucket and a Laosian vodka blend, whatever that may be.  What a way to get the morning started.

Buy 1 Get 1


Friendsies


The day continued with tubing down the river, ziplines, high rope swings, and a lot more alcohol. Once the sun went down we found our way out of the river, into a tuk-tuk and back to the main road where we could get into our cozy beds and sleep. Call us crazy but we were in no mood to party much more, our tanks were on empty. That's me speaking on behalf of me and my girlfriends by the way. I believe the guys went and devoured bottles of whiskey without hesitation. When we woke up the next morning it was the same routine but with the a touch of HAPPY to it. We showered, ate, and approached the river yet again. And what do you know, right there waiting for us were free shots. Mmmm.

Free Shots


Once we headed down the river again, we stopped at a few different places to drink, meet some people and enjoy our wondering minds. Needless to say, it didn't take much. We started at the zipline, where we spent most of our day sipping away at free drinks and bananas :] Then we floated down the river to the mudpit, which let's just say gave me a reason to finally move on from last seasons swimwear.

Zipline/Bar


Mud Wrestling 2



Knowing me, I started to get a bit hungry and noticed some locals eating and drinking so I made my way over to their table and start chatting up a bit with them. Laosians are so friendly. They welcomed all of us over, feeding us their spicy dishes of noodles and offering us beer with ice. My friends and I ended up staying with them until it turned dark, not realizing how fast time flew by. They tried teaching me Lao which I picked up quite quickly to my suprise but tried explaining to them, I would forget by tonight because of how intoxicated I was at the moment. I guess it's the thought that counts.

Lovely Laosians



To see more from Vang Vieng, visit my Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment