4.28.2010

Koh Lipe

After a week midterms, my body was ready, yet again, to take a vacation. This time I wanted to travel somewhere special, not just hop on a bus to a various location some backpacker recommended to me over a plate of pad thai. Then I remembered my time in Koh Phi Phi and how breathtaking it was. As I jogged my memory a bit further, there was a voice in the back of my head that said, "You think this is beautiful? You go to Koh Lipe, it is like this but 20 years ago."


I was impressed. Not only was this man correct but the island was unbelievable, it was paradise. In about two hours my friend Dii and I had walked around the entire island with our bags at hand before settling on a place to crash. The food was offered in all different cuisines, cheap too. And once the sun went to bed, it was completely silent. All you could focus on was the moon and the stars. It gave you the urge to sleep right there on the beach with the moon and stars as your night light.
The most intoxicating thing for me had to have been the crystal clear water combined with white sand beaches creating the most relaxing atmosphere for both body and mind. I think I spent almost three hours a day just floating on the surface of the sea meditating. It's always a good feeling to know you are experiencing new things, living life, seizing opportunity. For me, this good feeling never seems to end.

20100306 046


Dii and I spent our days exploring the island, eating at all the resturants Koh Lipe had to offer, and of course, participating in the snorkeling! This gave us the opportunity to not only see the exotic ocean life but to also see the surrounding cluster of Andaman Islands.


20100306 183
The crystal clear waters of the Andaman Sea during the snorkeling day tour around surrounding islands down south in Koh Lipe, Thailand.


20100306 172
The rock sculptures are a sign of success once completed by those who built them and are present all throughout Koh Hignam Island. Above I am building my success one rock at a time on Koh Hignam Island during the snorkeling day tour :]


20100306 140
Two young Thai boys run out onto Sunrise Beach into the water for a swim to avoid the direct sunlight shining down on Koh Lipe Island.



Once we departed from this island paradise known as Koh Lipe, we headed back to the mainland between the border of Southern Thailand and Malaysia. Unfortunately, we were not having the best of luck finding a bus ticket home. Seeing as we are 'farang' meaning foreigner in Thai, we were getting charged astronomically high fees and we not allowed to approach the bus ticket counter because the man handeling our tickets I guess was the only one we were allowed to consult about the matter. The lowest he could get us was 950 baht, direct. I told the man we got here for 650 baht and we were not pay one satang more. Me and Dii hopped on a minibus to Satun where we had orginially arrived on our way to Koh Kipe where we knew the bus station would allow us to purchase our own tickets. Although, by the time we arrived all the busses to Bangkok for the day were full so we ended up staying two days, one night in Satun. It wasn't as bad as most would have imagined.
But then again, we like to make the most with what we've got :]


20100306 092
Udomsuk Hotel where we stayed for the night at 100 baht a piece in Satun, Thailand.


20100306 266
To-kroa with the nearby local mens league before the festival in Satun, Thailand.



20100306 295
A selection of doughnuts only five baht a piece at the festival in Satun, Thailand.


To view more from this trip, visit my album on Flickr!

No comments:

Post a Comment